The Administration and Finance Department is responsible for planning and managing the University’s financial affairs within the authority granted by the Board of Regents.
- All transactions will require at least one signature approval (manual or electronic) prior to the execution of the transaction by an employee with a title equivalent to Dean, Vice President or their equivalent within the College or organizational unit initiating the transaction. Administration and Finance will test adherence to this policy, in accordance with the centrally maintained authority database. Acceptable equivalents are defined as Community College Presidents or Principal Investigators.
- When utilizing electronic routing in Banner, all documents will require the originator plus no more than two other levels of approval.
- The originator cannot be the same person as the approver.
- Any member of the University administration at or above the level equivalent to Dean or Vice President may optionally require more than one signature approval for any type of transaction. Adherence to this policy will be the responsibility of the initiating College or organizational unit.
- Dean, Vice President or Equivalent may delegate their signature authority, though not their responsibility, on routine business transactions to permanent or temporary alternates, provided that the delegation is not made to a member of their support staff below the appropriate level of authority within the department. Acceptable alternates include faculty members, Department Heads, Directors, professional assistants, professional staff members or supervisory classified employees within the Dean or Vice President or their Equivalent’s Office. Administration and Finance will test adherence to this policy in accordance with the centrally maintained authority database.
- Employees may not approve payments made to themselves, either as a reimbursement or through Payroll. All such reimbursements are to be approved by the Dean, Vice President or Equivalent or the designee. Adherence to this policy will be the responsibility of the initiating College or organizational unit.
- It is the responsibility of each position Dean, Vice President or Equivalent to develop signature policies in conjunction with the above overall policy for the Dean, Vice President or Equivalent’s College or organizational unit, and to formally communicate those policies to all organizational unit employees.
- If a College or organizational unit elects to approve transactions outside official University forms (either manual or automated), the College or organizational unit will retain approvals within departmental files, and centrally document delegated proxy approval for official University forms. Transactions that are not directly recorded in the University’s official administrative system are excluded from this policy.